Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fake Food vs. Real Food


Day 83

March 31, 2011


I was well-behaved and got up for cardio this morning and was planning to do 40 minutes on my elliptical, but at just under 31 minutes C woke up and walked in upset wanting to know where his Spider-man costume was so I got cut short. Between classes I went to The Rec and trained Chest and Glutes, or T&A, lol. I chose that over Legs because I can easily go 2 hours just on weights training legs, something I have time for tomorrow, but not today. To focus on glutes today I did 7 sets of cable kickbacks, 3 sets each leg of single leg squats in the smith machine, and 4 sets each leg of single leg standing leg presses (using the assisted pull-up machine) I’ll be pretty much hitting ll that again tomorrow as part of the full leg day. Why two days back to back? I’m still trying to burn my glutes as much as possible before peak week hits. Chest was the usual: classic bench, db bench, db flies, db incline bench, and push-ups to failure.

Towards the end I was thinking about how I haven’t been doing my beloved pull-ups lately. I’ve been purposefully avoiding them because I feel weak and I don’t like not being able to do as many as I have done before. At the end today I had an impulse, a pumped moment and I went for it. I busted out 8. That’s my new record now (it was 7 before) and I’m proud. That’s 75% of the way to my goal of 12 reps to a set. Awesome =)

I like real food; in fact I love many real foods that I’m not currently allowed to eat. On this diet, I have come to love fake foods. Why? Because many of them give me the macros I need in a clean form while satisfying cravings.

Think Thin Bars are my favorite fake food in existence. They are like candy bars, especially the Chunky Peanut Butter Flavor. It’s practically a Reese’s. Up until a week ago the White Chocolate Chip flavor was my favorite. Now they both are. I’ll warn you Chocolate Mudslide isn’t great, but Brownie Crunch is. Surprisingly and pleasingly, they contain 0 grams of sugar.

Stats:

White Chocolate Chip 230 cals 20 g protein 25 g carbs 8 g fat

Chunky Peanut Butter 240 cals 20 g protein 24 g carbs 8 g fat


2:1 Protein Bars I’ve only tried the Oatmeal flavor of these. I ordered a box from GNC after reading on the website that they have a ratio of 2 parts protein to 1 part carbs. When I got them it turned out they were referring to net carbs. That’s where you deduct the sugar alcohols. Based on that logic Think Thin Bars are superior, their ratio is close after “netting” carbs and they taste WAY better. All the 2:1 bar has going for it is the amount of protein for the cals and that the bar is pretty big, thus filling. These I wouldn’t buy again. The problem with carb netting is I don’t totally believe in the concept so I count the “gross” or total listed carbs in my macros for the sake of dietary conservatism and thus don’t benefit.

Stats:

Oatmeal 250 cals 30 g protein 24 g carbs 6 g fat


Pure Protein Shakes These are fantastic for their portability. I like to keep one in my car or gym locker for that protein emergency (that’s when you realize you under packed food for the day, you’re starved, and you’re about to go buy some macro destroying nutritionally void snack item on campus. Protein shake in a can to the rescue!) Their flavor is pretty good too. I have the Vanilla Crème ones. They are a bit pricey though, so I reserve them as my emergency fake food.

Stats:

Vanilla Crème 100 cals 21 g protein 4 g carbs 0.5 g fat (they also make a 35 g protein can that is still only 160 cals)


Gaspari MyoFusion My first, and still most beloved, fake food. This is my original protein powder and still my favorite protein powder. I mainly stick to the Milk Chocolate and Delicious Vanilla flavors The Strawberries and Cream is good, but only with milk and I can only afford water in my cal budget right now for my mixer. I started buying this back last summer when I started reading F&M Hers. They sponsor Ava Cowan (one of the top 3 figure pros) and their advertising is good. I needed a protein powder and thought she had killer abs, while of course realizing it wouldn’t necessarily make me look like her I figured what the hey I’ll try that one. So glad I did. It has great flavor and the BEST texture by a longshot. When I blend it in my Magic Bullet with water and ice cubes the texture is as thick and frothy and as satisfying as a Frosty from Wendy’s. SERIOUSLY GOOD SHIT. Plus, it’s a blend of multiple proteins: three different derivatives of whey protein, milk protein isolate, and egg albumin. It also has some additives that are beneficial to the diet: CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), sunflower oil, and flaxseed oil.

Stats:

Delicious Vanilla / Milk Chocolate 147 cals 25 g protein 5 g carbs 3 g fat


Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
in Cake Batter flavor I tried this after hearing how great the flavor was from my PT, Laura. She’s totally right, the flavor is soooooo yummy, but being straight whey the texture just cannot compete with MyoFusion. It has some additives too that enhance the diet: BCAAs, Glutamine and Precursors. It does beat MyoFusion on the stats.

Stats:

Cake Batter 120 cals 24 g protein 3 g carbs 1 g fat


Trader Joe's Vanilla Coffee Creamer I used to put a bunch of vanilla sugar syrup and half and half in my coffee. Now I just put a splash of this. The TJ's one is my favorite because it has 33% fewer carbs per serving than most other brands (only 4 vs. 6 grams). This is a diet change I'll keep in the off season.

Stats:

30 cals 0 g protein 4 g carbs 1.5 g fat

Macros

158.8 grams Protein 174 grams Carbs 62.7 grams Fat

Cal Tally


1,895.5 Ingested
(1,448) BMR
(709) Training
(261.5) Net Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment