Monday, January 24, 2011

Negatives (which rock!), Black Beans, and My Fake Digital Tan ;)





Negatives rock! What is a negative? When you do one on bench press you load up the bar with a heavier weight than you can handle traditionally. Your spotter assists you on the lift and then you lower the bar to your chest without help as slowly as you possibly can. They are hard, but great. My bench press max has thus far been 75 lbs, but doing negatives I managed 105 lbs =)

I did one single edit to my muscular structure update photo. I used Picnik (online photo editing program – love it!) to give myself a fake tan. Hehe, it seemed appropriate as when you compete in Figure, Fitness, and Bikini you get airbrushed up the night before and morning of to a nice dark fake tan. I have no idea if my I’m progressing – I see myself every day so it is hard to tell objectively!

The other picture was a chicken salad I threw together for dinner. Pretty tasty =)

Day 17

Monday, January 24, 2011

6:15 am Cardio


40 min
Steady Climb Elliptical program
Quick Stretch

7:00 am Protein Shake #1

1 scoop delicious vanilla MyoFusion with water and ice in my bullet

8:10 am Breakfast

¾ cup Steel-cut Oats with 1/3 cup raspberries & blueberries, splash NF milk
Coffee

10:15 am Snaking in MKTG 380

1 Strawberry Chobani NF Greek Yogurt

These are the BEST ever dairy product out there (well aside from butter, but that is neither here nor there ;) I am REALLY going to miss these if I give up dairy.

Hot tea

11:40 am Eat and Run (pretty literally)
4 oz. Tomato Basil Marinated Chicken
½ cup Baby Carrots

12:00 – 1:25 pm Training Chest & Shoulders at the SRC


1)Bench Press Negatives


Set 1 (Warm-up): 12 regular reps x bar only (45 lbs)
Set 2: Negatives 3 reps x 90lbs
Set 3: Negatives 3 reps x 105 lbs
Set 4: Negatives 3 reps x 105 lbs
Set 5: Negatives 3 reps x 105 lbs
Set 6: Negatives 3 reps x 105 lbs
Se 7: 70 lbs x reps to failure (9)
Set 8: 45 lbs x 15 reps (wasn’t getting to failure expediently)

2)Dumbbell Bench Press

Set 1: 10 reps x 20 lbs (per arm)
Set 2: 8 reps x 25 lbs (per arm)
Set 3: 8 reps x 25 lbs (per arm)
Set 4: 5 reps x 25 lbs (per arm)

Set 4 showed the damage / progress (they really are the same thing!) my muscles were incurring. I completely lost it on the 5th rep, didn’t see it coming at all. Phew! That’s what a good spotter is there for though. Thanks Laura!

They were kicking my ass because…they were superset with:

3)Push-ups to Failure

Set 1: 8 ½ to failure
Set 2: 10 ½ to failure
Set 3: 1 ½ to failure then a brief rest followed by 3 ½ to failure
Set 4: 7 ½ to failure

Set 3 was downright funny. I couldn’t make it past the halfway mark on the 2nd push-up. I’m not sure what made it so funny right then but it really was. Laura had me rest again and restart, but I only garnered 3 ½. My muscles should have something to show for today. I had to suck it up and make myself get farther on the final set though. Laura had said to do knee push-ups when I failed and I was all, “What? I can’t do that. What’s the name of my blog?” lol. I can respect the knee push-up in that context. Applied that way it creates essentially a drop set, but that’s my stubborn not terribly founded motto; no girl push-ups for me! ;)

4)Dumbbell Flies with 5 Second Holds

Set 1: 10 reps x 12 lbs
Set 2: 10 reps x 12 lbs
Set 3: 10 reps x 15 lbs
Set 4: 10 reps x 15 lbs

Superset with

5)Dumbbell Kickbacks

Set 1: 10 reps x 12 lbs
Set 2: 10 reps x 15 lbs
Set 3: 10 reps x 15 lbs
Set 4: 10 reps x 15 lbs

6)Dumbbell Incline Bench Press


Set 1: 10 reps x 20 lbs
Set 2: 10 reps x 15 lbs
Set 3: 10 reps x 15 lbs

Superset with

7)Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Set 1: 8 reps x 15 lbs (both arms simultaneously)
Set 2: 8 reps x 15 lbs 1 arm full set then switch
Set 1: 8 reps x 15 lbs (both arms simultaneously)

All I have to say about these is Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Before we did them I tried lifting my arms up in the proper form with NO weights and that hurt. It still does if I try it right now and that double back bi pose in the pic above hurt too. Ummm, yeah ;)

Laura let me off of abs today. We’ll be doing them Wednesday though.

8)Quickie Cardio

The Stairs! I've grown to love these them - they're now my #1 cardio pick =)

StairMaster Level 12 “Calorie Burner” Program

15 min ~ 1.69 miles ~ 81 floors climbed ~ 169 cals burned

Ideally I would do the 60 min of weights with Laura and then I would do 45 minutes of cardio, but my 1st Mon/Wed class gets out at 11:50 a 10 min walk from the rec center and then I’m due in a thankfully nearby building for my tax class at 2 pm. So I could get in all the cardio I want, I’d just be that fun sweaty person in the front row with bad hair, melted makeup and damp clothing. Yeah, I’ve been opting for short cardio + a quick shower instead…

2:05 pm Protein Fix in Tax

1 serving egg white, feta, spinach, & asparagus crust less quiche*
Fuji apple
Hot tea

*I randomly adapted this from a recipe in F&M Hers last night. Their version called for some chicken sausage, no asparagus, and 2% cheddar. I had no sausage or cheddar, but I did have feta and asparagus that needed to get used up. What makes it great is a serving is decent, about a full cup, and only has about 170 cals and a satisfying 21 g of protein.

4:00 pm Satisfaction is a Black Bean!

So in tax Hannah had this whole wheat tortilla black bean stuffed burrito looking wrap thing she had found at the Atrium and she gave me a bite. It was yummy and she was talking up the nutrition stats so I went off to get one after class instead of the chicken and cherries I had left in my Built cooler bag. I was figuring that it would be quite filling and I could go lite on dinner.

6:30 pm Light Dinner it is

4 oz. tom basil chicken
1 ½ cups butter lettuce (hey the word butter! Mmmmm)
1 cup blanched green beans
Drizzle rice wine vinegar
I’d usually drizzle olive oil too, but I’m out
6 Triscuits
Hot tea

7:45 pm Protein Shake #2 ½

1 ½ scoops of milk chocolate MyoFusion with water and ice in my bullet

8:30 pm Solving my Late Night Cracker Addiction Problem


30ish Wheat thins
3 Laughing Cow Light Wedges
Small slice fresh pineapple
Hot tea

That was the last of the Wheat Thins. I’m not going to buy another box to replace them. Problem solved.

(Disclaimer: The Triscuit box is almost empty. They’re banned too.)

There’s a simple rule: don’t want to wind up eating it? Don’t buy it. Easier said than done with a 3-year-old, but he’s into pretzels and cheese puffs, neither of which tempt me.

Should I go all out and enter the Emerald Cup? It’s April 15-16th. Have an opinion? Post it pretty please =)

No comments:

Post a Comment