Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Peels to Failure, Set Point Theory, & Cheat Meal #1 =)


Day 12

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

*Almost* 2 weeks in earns a cheat meal ;)

Mmmm see that delicious looking pizza over there? It’s from Coconut Kenny’s and it was half Haole and half good old straight cheese. So Charlie ate 1 slice, anybody care to hazard a guess how many slices I had? :P I also had an old school Coke out of a glass bottle.

So why am I so proud of my cheat meal? Have you ever heard of Set Point Theory? Basically, I’ve been starting to go nutty about my diet in the last 3 or so days because my body is trying to fight me and return itself to its status quo, i.e. what I weighed and what my mass composition was 2 weeks ago. To get me to go along with its plan to plump me back up my body has been using its ultimate weapon – hunger cues – to get extra calories to restore my set point. Some of us have high sets points, some low. They are genetically derived. An interesting and informative, but also brief explanation from a far more credible source can be viewed here
http://medweb.mit.edu/pdf/set_point_theory.pdf

That is the beauty of the all essential “cheat meal” when eating clean. You can’t be enemies with your body, I mean you have to live together and that is one long lease, so you have to negotiate. The once every week or two cheat meal surprises your metabolism and serves as a momentary compromise, with your set point determined biology being satiated by the surprise calorie influx, and in turn your intense hunger drive being quelled, allowing the return of the necessary focus to stay on track. Or something like that ;)

6:30 am 30 min Cardio

Interval Elliptical Program

Quick stretch

7:05 am Protein Shake #1

1 scoop strawberries and cream MyoFusion with 4 oz. Silk soymilk, water, and ice in my bullet

8 am Breakfast

½ cup oatmeal with cinnamon 11/3 cup blueberries, splash NF milk
Coffee

10 am Snack in MKTG 380


¾ cup cottage cheese
½ cup fresh pineapple

11:15 am Lunch


PB&J on wheat

My original intent was to only eat ½ and the other ½ later in the day, but yeah, set point was winning right then.

12 pm Peel Baby Peel! (Chest, Triceps, & Abs with my PT Laura =)


1)Bench Press Peels to Failure

These are hard, but great. One stipulation, do not EVER attempt without a spotter. Good thing I had a good one! Actually Laura has this thing about blocking me when I’m trying to wuss out at low reps and return the bar to the rack. She’s still spotting so I’m covered, but she will get in my way so I have to keep the bar and inform me that I can do two more, haha, she’s right too ;)

Set 1 (warm-up): bar only (45 lbs) x 15 reps
Set 2: 75 lbs x 8 reps, 65 lbs x 6 reps, 55 lbs x 6 reps, 45 lbs x 8 reps
Set 3: 75 lbs x 7 reps, 65 lbs x 6 reps, 55 lbs x 6 reps, 45 lbs x 8 reps
Set 4: 75 lbs x 7 reps, 65 lbs x 6 reps, 55 lbs x 6 reps, 45 lbs x 10 reps

So what is a peel anyways? It’s like a drop set, you don’t even get to get up off the bench at all though. Your spotter just quickly peels some weight off your bar and you’re back at it till failure again.

I’m excited because next week we will be doing negatives. Those are where the weight is too heavy for me to manage to push up on my own so my spotter assists and then I take the full weight on the return. I’ve never done them before, but I’ve read about them in F&M Hers.

2)Dumbbell Incline Bench Press

Set 1: 15 lbs per arm x 10 reps
Set 2: 15 lbs per arm x 12 reps
Set 3: 20 lbs per arm x 10 reps

3)Dumbbell Bench Press


Set 1: 20 lbs per arm x 10 reps
Set 2: 20 lbs per arm x 10 reps
Set 3: 20 lbs per arm x 10 reps

This was highly entertaining because the guy 2 benches over was doing the same exercise with the same weight, and he’s a regular in there :P

Superset with

4)Dumbbell Overhead (single arm) Extensions


Set 1: 8 lbs x 10 reps per arm
Set 2: 8 lbs x 10 reps per arm
Set 3: 8 lbs x 10 reps per arm

5)Dumbbell Flies

Set 1: 12 lbs x 10 reps
Set 2: 15 lbs x 12 reps
Set 3: 20 lbs x 12 reps

Superset with


6)Dumbbell Kickbacks

Set 1: 12 lbs x 8 reps per arm
Set 2: 12 lbs x 8 reps per arm
Set 3: 12 lbs x 8 reps per arm

7)Rope Single Arm Triceps Pushdowns

Set 1: 25 lbs x 8 reps per arm
Set 2: 25 lbs x 6 reps per arm
Set 3: 25 lbs x 6 reps per arm

8)Ab Circuit


Plank with 20 leg lifts
Partner Leg Raises (20)
Toe-touches with 8 lb Medicine Ball (20)
Mini Crunches (10)
Elbow Crunches (20)

Repeat the whole thing

Repeat the whole thing again

Done!

Wait, nope, almost forgot push-ups ;)

9)Push-ups to failure

Just 1 set – my arms quit at 9 ¼ which is great as it means they had already been killed on weights =)

1:15 pm Quickie Cardio

Treadmill

15 min 1% incline 5.5 mph running 1.36 miles

Leapt off and kept on running to the locker room to manage a shower before tax.

I didn’t stretch – I’ll be paying for that tomorrow.

2 pm People probably think I’m strange in ACCT 375

At least based on the snacks I pack =)

1.5 cups cold steamed broccoli
1 scoop delicious vanilla MyoFusion in water
Hot tea no sweetener

4:30 pm

I ate 5 Hershey’s kisses at the PWA meeting and snagged 3 more to take home and eat with my cheat meal.

6:30 pm Mmmmmmmmmmm Cheating is Covered with Sooooooo Much Cheese!

5, yeah 5, slices pizza from Coconut Kenny’s (2 cheese & 3 Haole)
1 glass bottle Coke

I never got the whole draw of pizza as the favorite cheat meal always being cited across the pages of F&M Hers, until I started eating clean. It. Just. Hits. The. Spot.

I’ve been full and sucking down mass quantities of ice water since then (really craving it tonight for some reason even though I drink at least 60 oz of water during the day) and now I’m off to bed still full. I’ll be back on my chicken, carrots, et al tomorrow though, and happy about it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment