Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ready NOW & Dreading Reverse Dieting

Day 88

Tuesday, April 5, 2011


If The Emerald Cup were this Friday instead of the following one that would be great. I feel like I’m just playing a waiting game now. The energy drain is making me weak when it comes to resolve and I keep wanting to have just a few bites of various disallowed foods. I’m getting these cravings every single day. It’s a problem. I’m not sure how I should kick it. I’m considering limiting myself to just a few foods and only those foods until the competition. A lot of people go down to something like that for the last week. One guy’s peak week diet that I read was basically just cashews, sweet potatoes, salmon, and top round steak. He was intentionally loading fat. I forget why. I can recite the water depletion, sodium, carb depleting, and carb loading bits pretty well, but I forget the theory behind fat loading during peak week. That same guy also practices what he terms “crap loading” which is where he eats a cheat meal the night before the show instead of waiting until after the show. The logic being that is that a lot of competitors look fantastic the day after the show because all the carbs and sodium in their cheat meal (think pizza) fill out their muscles and make everything look hard. It sounds interesting. I need to come up with a definitive peak week plan of attack pronto. I’ve procrastinated on those decisions long enough: my peak week starts this weekend!

I trained glutes and chest today. I managed to get in 40 minutes of am cardio at home before breakfast and before C woke up. That was great. I was only at The Rec for an hour and 10 minutes this afternoon. A short one: glutes, chest, and 15 minutes on the StairMaster. I have been tracking macros throughout the day and am clocking in right on target:

Macros

139.1 grams Protein 160.5 grams Carbs 58.3 grams Fat

Cal Tally


1,723 Cals Ingested
(1,448) BMR
(976) Burned Training

(701) Net Loss =)

I have a headache yet again. I’m not sure if it is the afternoon coffee, the tightness in my neck lately, something seasonal, or whatever else. Even though I’ve never liked it I think I should take up with yoga in the off season. I never stretch adequately and I read an article in F&M Hers awhile back about how beneficial yoga can be to building muscle. The added flexibility primes the muscle fibers to grow more freely or something to that extent. I’m starting to dread reverse dieting, that’s what you do after a competition. You gradually start adding back your carbs, you cut down your cardio, you don’t freak out if you only get to the gym 5 days a week. That all sounds like a nice relief of my packed schedule, but at the same time I dread covering back up the definition I’ve quickly grown to love so much. I’ll do my best to embrace the merits of the off-season though, and then right about the beginning of July I’ll start shedding again for the Ironman (it’s end of Sept beginning of Oct – don’t know the exact date yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment